If you’re shipping your car for your recent relocation, you will need to follow certain guidelines in getting it ready — the auto transport company generally mandates it.
Here are the steps to take to assist you in your preparation.
1. Your vehicle will be inspected before it’s moved, and you must be present for the inspection because you will need to sign the bill of lading as well as a vehicle condition report. You should attend so you can be assured that your auto shipper has all the necessary information.
2. Your automobile must be working properly. Some car transport companies will agree to transport inoperable vehicles, but it comes with an an additional fee. In fact, it’s a good idea to have your vehicle serviced before the ship date to make sure everything’s OK.
3. Before loading your vehicle, inflate the tires to the recommended pressure. This ensures safe loading and unloading without causing damage to your tires.
4. Check the antifreeze levels in your radiator in case of severe weather conditions.
5. Empty the inside of your vehicle. By law, you can’t leave items in your vehicle while it is being transported. Only items that your vehicle needs to function, such as spare tires or jacks, are allowed. If you leave goods in the trunk or elsewhere and they become damaged, your car shipping company is not liable.
6. You’ll need a complete set of keys available to give the shippers when your vehicle is picked up.
7. Remove all antennas and roof racks.
8. If you happen to have an automated toll-paying device (like an E-Z Pass), it must be removed.
9. If your vehicle has an alarm system, it should be disabled. This is done to prevent the alarm from activating while your car is in transit.
10. Do not fill up your tank on shipping day; have less than half a tank of gas when transporting your car.